“Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” -Lance Armstrong

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Xterra Mountain Championship Beaver Creek, CO

This past weekend Abbie and I traveled to Avon Colorado so I could race in the Xterra Mountain Championship. I have done this course before and I was excited to race the course again. Abbie and I stayed in a place just at the base of the Beaver Creek Ski Resort which had a spectacular view from our balcony, I felt like I was in Europe!
I woke up early in the morning and Abbie was already awake (due to her watching Dateline the night before) hehe. I suited up and ate a good breakfast and drove down to the lake to get ready.
As the swim started I felt real good around my first lap drafting off of a few people, I guess I got a little too close and someones foot smacked my left eye causing my goggle to fill up with water. I stopped for a second trying to seal the goggle but it was no use so I just kept going squinting my left eye till I got out of the water.
The bike ride was awesome the first climb I felt I had a lot in me passing quite a few people on the 3800 foot climb. The trail descended and finished on a 2000 foot climb which wrapped into the ski resort which I kept pushing on the the final downhill. As I jumped off my bike I ran into T2 and took off onto the run.
The first part of the run is directly uphill for the first 2 miles and then stays pretty consistent till the end. I loved the run due to the fact that we had one long loop. I ran with two guys from my age group and we all came in within a few minutes of each other. I was happy with my run, I have been focusing on core exercises lately trying to strengthen my core so I could reduce my left side ache which frequently comes during any run I do. All I can say is my training is paying off, I ran the entire time pushing through the uphill and pushing my stride on the downhill. I came into the finish line a little over 3 hours.
Overall I was happy to see my training payoff! I was 45 min. faster than last year on the same course! I finished 8th in my age category and came in within the top 100.

Our view from our hotel room
Warming up

Leaving T2





No comments:

Post a Comment