“Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” -Lance Armstrong

Thursday, December 8, 2011

24 Hours of Moab 2011




Last year as I finished my last lap of 24 hours of Moab I told myself that I was going to do a duo in 2011. All year in the back of my head I kept telling myself that each race I did was preparing me for the duo in Moab. Throught the year I kept switching duo partners and one week before the race Ahmi my cousin's friend had a similar thing happen with her duo partner, so we decided to race a coed duo.
Chris Okland and I left early Thursday morning to pick out our base camp for the race, since last year we were extremely far away from the venue. As we pulled into camp we had a spot big enough for our two teams for the weekend, we were literally across the road from the main tent. As Chris and I removed the weeds and set camp up the storms arrived. We quickly grabbed what we needed and went back to town and got a hotel room.
Friday morning Chris and I headed out to Outerbike (which was awesome) checking out the new 2012 models. I was amazed at the outcome of the event and I hope to be attending next year if these two events don't overlap on each other like this year. Chris and I soon headed back to camp and all of our friends and spouses arrived.
The weather was nice until 1:00 a.m. hit, rain, rain, and yes more rain. I literally could not fall asleep thinking that the race would be cancelled. I thought to myself all this preparation and for sure the race is over. Finally as sunrise hit the rain started to slow down and eventually stopped, and by the time the race started we had a perfect blue sky!
The race started at 12:00 with the classic Le Mans start, Willie and I ran next to each other which was fun. I quickly jumped on my bike and within the first 3 miles it was all starting to come back to me, every turn and bump felt very familiar from the previous year. I soon gave the baton off to Ahmi for her lap.
At 9:00 at night the announcer read off that our duo team was in 2nd place in the duo/pro category which helped pump me up for my next lap. I began to worry a little knowing how cold the previous night was and was hoping I had the right clothing to withstand the weather. When 3:00 a.m. hit my fingers, and toes hurt, I was so cold as I came into camp I quickly sat by the fire trying to warm up and eat something warm to revive me.
Ahmi arrived into camp, and we decided to take a two hour break to warm up and finish as the sun was rising. As I entered my last lap I received a text message from my mom that my Grandpa passed away that night.
During my last lap I was able to ride hard knowing it was my last lap, and also it was nice to clear my head and reflect on my Grandpa. He loved the beauty of the desert and always talked about the desert. As I arrived into the finish line to give the baton to Ahmi to ride out on our last lap I hugged my wonderful wife for being such a huge support for me with my races. We finished 5th place in the duo/pro category, I ended up riding 105 miles as Ahmi knocked out 90. Love you Grandpa!!

Base Camp
The two teams (Chris O., Danny, Willie, Chirs C., Me, and Ahmi Left to Right)
Abs and I trying to keep warm
Relaxin waiting for the finishers

No comments:

Post a Comment